Convention Corner 2022: Tips for New Attendees
Tips for New Attendees (and previous Convention goers who haven’t been to an in-person event in a long time!)
We love new members and first-time attendees! Please join us at the New Member Meet and Greet on Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 5 p.m. in Room 104 at the Glass City Center in downtown Toledo.
Network and Meet New People
- Bring your business cards to share with others. You can also drop your business cards into vendors’ door prize drawings instead of having to fill out an entry form.
- When someone gives you a card, jot down what you discussed on the back (this helps to remember each person you talked to).
New Member Meet and Greet
The OLC Membership Committee invites all new OLC members and first-time attendees to a special gathering in Room 104 at the Glass City Center. The New Member Meet and Greet will be held Wed., Sept. 28 from 5-5:30 p.m. Also, please visit the Membership Committee booth inside the Exhibit Hall at OLC Connects! If you see someone with a LIME-colored ribbon, please introduce yourself and welcome them to your professional organization. First-time ribbon is BRIGHT PINK.
Plan Your Conference
If you haven’t already seen them, daily schedules and session descriptions are on the Convention and Expo website (under the “Convention” tab).
- If you are attending with co-workers, split up and attend different breakout sessions.
- Download the conference app. The mobile app lets you create a customized schedule and includes session descriptions, special events, and speaker presentations and handouts. The app is also where you can complete session evaluations.
Navigating the Exhibit Hall and Interacting with Vendors
The Exhibit Hall will be full of vendors sharing their products and services. This can be intimidating for new attendees because you may not have purchasing power at your library and not all products will align with your job.
- Take the brochures and pass them along to the person at your library who does order for that area. You might be the one to help bring something new and innovative into your system!
- Take the swag – tote bags, books, flashlights, pens, notepads, and more – and share it with your co-workers when you get home!
- Dress is typically business casual, but make sure you wear comfortable shoes.
- Networking with your colleagues can happen anytime, from post-keynote chats to Buckeye Battledecks. Be sure to chat with other library staff from around the state.
- If you are staying at the Renaissance or the Hilton, each room has a mini-refrigerator, and there is a microwave in the lobby for guest use.
- A sensory-friendly space is located in Room 215-217 on the second floor of the Glass City Center.
We’re looking forward to seeing you in Toledo!